Categories: Agile, Dave Prior, Digital Agency, Digital PM, Digital PM Summit, Digital Project Management, DPM, DrunkenPM, Edward Kay, Reluctant Agilist, Tall Projects
Edward Kay, the Founder of Tall Projects, has been managing software and digital projects for over 14 years. A few months ago Edward posted an article on The Digital Project Manager called “Agency Agile: 10 Agile Methods for Agencies”. In this interview, Edward and I discuss his article, some of the key things you need to do in order to get agile to work in digital, and why Scrum may be the one thing that just won’t work in an agency model.
- 04:04 - Interview Begins
- 04:48 - Background on Edward and Tall Projects
- 05:55 - How Edward got started doing agile
- 06:31 - How Edward’s clients develop a desire to try Agile
- 09:11 - Are the clients who want to “Go Agile” aware of what that will require and willing to take the steps needed to implement the change?
- 11:25 - Where in the organization is agile getting started?
- 12:17 - Why the clients bring Edward in
- 13:34 - There is no one true way
- 14:50 - Critical challenges facing Digital Agencies trying to adopt Agile
- 16:32 - Understanding how to look at work across the portfolio
- 17:32 - Different ways of measuring work in agencies that are using Agile
- 20:07 - “Why don’t we just smoke crack at work?”
- 23:52 - Tracking Happiness
- 25:10 - Quantifying value and limiting WIP
- 28:26 - What is the client actually paying you for?
- 30:50 - Determining value at the project deliverable level
- 32:40 - Having a conversation about limiting WIP
- 35:38 - Getting the client to trust the practices agile team’s employ
- 36:16 - Multitasking is bad and doesn’t work… but it is still expected
- 37:45 - What Agile practices just do not work in an Agency model
- 38:49 - “The on system that is not well suited for Digital Agencies in Scrum”
- 41:15 - Kanban as an alternative for Digital Agencies
- 42:10 - What Agile tool/technique is the key to making it work in an Agency model?
- 43:17 - What is the piece that is missing when trying to make Agile fit in an Agency model?
- 44:18 - How to get in touch with Edward
Website - https://www.tallprojects.co.uk
Twitter: https://twitter.com/edwardkay or https://twitter.com/tallprojects
Edward’s article on The Digital Project Manager: Agency Agile: 10 Agile Methods For Agencies
CSM Training and the 2017 Digital PM Summit
For information on the Certified Scrum Master class being held right before the 2017 Digital PM Summit, click here. Special Discounts are available for conference attendees. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For information on the 2017 Digital PM Summit, click here.