In today's world, strategy is far more important than we have ever seen throughout history. At this time, strategy must look beyond today and tomorrow and examine what is on the horizon. This gives organizations a narrow window of time to put in place their strategic plan of action to capture emerging opportunities and prepare for the disruption about to be delivered by breakthroughs in science and technology. This is not an easy task by any measure, but essential for organizations of nearly every size and within every industry.
There are a number of strategic implications when it comes to the emerging technologies that are on the horizon. Unlike other periods of time where a single technology drove disruptive change, this time multiple technologies, some working with others will have a cumulative effect where their combined impact will truly be highly-disruptive when it comes to our existing business models and many of our mental models as well.
High Level Approach
- Identify and embrace the change that is on the horizon.
- Investigate, analyze and understand the drivers of disruption that is likely to impact you and your organization.
- Strategize to identify and challenge, current and potential roadblocks and internal resistance to addressing the disruption you have identified.
- Create and or change the way you or your organization delivers strategic value to current and potential customers that may not even exist today.
- Prepare yourself and your organization through continuous learning to rapidly respond to disruptive change being brought by emerging technologies.
Many organizations are likely to find themselves faced with sudden, violent disruptions that may threaten their existence. Reacting to these disruptive forces may not be enough. Therefore, anticipating and preparing for the numerous implications that are on the horizon is required and no small task. It will undoubtably include; new educational requirements, changes to financial models, enhanced competitive differentiation as well as new product and service offerings worldwide. Examining the implications of emerging technologies and disruptive forces that are on the horizon is essential. It is the foundation when it comes to guiding where organizations should head.