Viewing Posts by Amrapali Amrapali
My best friend gave me a review of a product and suggested to give it a try. Since, I know that her reviews are always good, I gave it a try. Suggestions play a vital role in one's decision, importantly if it has been given from an influential and powerful stakeholder in a project or in our life.
In organisations as well, the scheme of suggestions and improvements are prevalent. Some keep it as an idea generation ballot box, others keep as continuous improvement projects and rest just implement it weighing the pros and cons.
When I was working for a public sector firm, I found that the way of working was like following a set of rules. Follow the same process, refer the lesson learned repository and execute accordingly. There was little space to include new ideas, new processes and what I meant here is give a thought to new suggestions.
How can we better adapt to including a mechanism of trying to let Innovative worthy suggestions included?
Here are some ways we can:
1) Introducing an employee suggestion scheme: One of the oraganisation I have worked for has a suggestion box and a portal where employees could freely submit their new ideas, improvement steps or some benchmarked initiatives. Even, the top three suggestions/ideas were awarded every quarterly which gave recognition and connectivity to the employee.
2) Including as a training project: With the upliftment and development of current employees, organisation can get them more involved by encouraging them into taking short term training projects and bring new ideas and suggestions to the team.
3) As a part of the performance appraisal process: I am sure each and every employee waits for this process and puts his/her best efforts to get the best rating for their previous years' contributions. But, if he/she also gets a chance to think/plan/write one or two development projects they want to take the coming year, they would feel delighted. Isn't this sounds interesting to both of them?
4) Open suggestions during the exit interviews: It is sad when an employee leaves an organisation, but its an inevitable process. Many of these can still do a great help to the departing organisation by putting their unadulterated views in the interview or paper that may help the organisation improve.
I want to add a quote from Mr. Harvey Mackay here:
"The employees who share innovative ideas may also be the folks who have some hidden talents that would help incorporate their suggestions"
On the 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, I am thinking of the evolution of leadership skills and how it has been influenced by the history. Celebrating the charismatic and transformational leaders, help us re-capitulate some of their, extra-ordinary skills and the success stories/mantra.
One of the best way to do this is to read about the work they did and how such a huge wave of "change" was established. Here I present three of the best quotations from Bapu (Mahatma Gandhi) and how I relate to them.
1) You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
This is one of the most inspiring sayings of this great leader. It is so true, when we talk about changing something, we tend to exclude ourselves. Inclusiveness and being an example of the change can have such a strong impact, was proved by him.
2) Live as if you were to die tomorrow; learn as if you were to live forever.
Living in the moment and present will always have the positive effect. Doing the very best of yourself, today and giving it the fullest will surely present the best outcome tomorrow. We are learning so many things, but are we not unlearning some good things too? Both success and failure in our life gives us the best lessons to remember forever and also pass on to next generations (what we call the lesson learned repository).
3) A man is but the product of his thoughts; what he thinks, he becomes
This is truly the secret of success of the greatest leaders of the world. The vision, goals and mission of your life, project or organisation should be really well defined. Working/thinking towards/inline with your goal/vision/mission always helps one achieve success. Being optimistic bring positive frequency in the environment.
We are lucky to have such great leaders in the past. Evolution in the leadership style has added value to the work being done in the present, but the primary traits remain the same.
Empathy, Integrity and Vision