Project Management Central

Please login or join to subscribe to this thread
Completed PMP - What next?
Network:9



Having completed the PMP training I have applied to the exam, once I have this under my belt should I move onto another course or focus on honing my craft and building my network here? I enjoyed learning, applying learnings and meeting likeminded contacts during the training. Any advice welcome please?
Sort By:
Page: 1 2 next>
Network:1712



Kim -

let your career goals and personal interests drive your professional development. Formal training and certifications should only be 10% of your development efforts. The remaining 90% would occur through relationship (e.g. mentoring) and experiential (e.g. hands-on work) learning.

If you have a particular interest in a specific topic (e.g. program management, agile, risk management) then by all means do some formal training to learn the basics, but then get out there and apply what you've learned.

Kiron
...
1 reply by Kim Billings
Sep 18, 2019 5:22 PM
Kim Billings
...
Thanks for your thoughts Kiron, appreciate it
Network:264



I'm a fan of honing your craft and building your network. Project Management covers many aspects of business, and you'll get exposure to all of them over time. If you find something that interests you, then pursue that. Until then, focus on project management; it's quite possible to have a long and successful career with nothing more than your PMP. Your growing track record of successful projects will open new opportunities.
...
1 reply by Kim Billings
Sep 18, 2019 5:25 PM
Kim Billings
...
Thanks Wade, I tend to agree - have to I have also learnt both good and bad approaches from working with other PM's. Everything is a life lesson!
Network:31613



Agree with Kiron.
I do suggest you create a Career Management Plan for yourself and work based on that.
...
1 reply by Kim Billings
Sep 18, 2019 5:25 PM
Kim Billings
...
Haven't thought of doing this before, really good idea, thank you
Network:3047



What led you to want PMP certification??
I agree with Kiron: "let your career goals and personal interests drive your professional development"
...
1 reply by Kim Billings
Sep 18, 2019 5:28 PM
Kim Billings
...
Hi Luis, I have reached my position through hard work and (pretty much) on the job / proactive learning, Felt I wanted to go back to the books and to improve my current role, not to mention being learnings back to more junior PM's in my team. I enjoyed the material and have applied for my PMP exam, waiting to hear when I can take it now. Particularly interested in any tips about reading materials that you have felt useful too? Thank you, Kim
Network:504



Since you have completed PMP (Generally it would imply you would want to build up a career in Project management world). So next steps will depend on lots of factors which as rightly put by Kiron will depend on your career goals & interests.
I would suggest indulging with: Attending PM based sessions, join your local PM chapter & build up your network, gain exposure. And yes then there is always formal education where-in you can do some PM based courses from various univ. or institutions. The list is long but all depends on your goals & personal interests.
...
1 reply by Kim Billings
Sep 18, 2019 5:29 PM
Kim Billings
...
Appreciate your feedback Gaurav, really helpful! Kim
Network:9



Sep 17, 2019 7:12 AM
Replying to Kiron Bondale
...
Kim -

let your career goals and personal interests drive your professional development. Formal training and certifications should only be 10% of your development efforts. The remaining 90% would occur through relationship (e.g. mentoring) and experiential (e.g. hands-on work) learning.

If you have a particular interest in a specific topic (e.g. program management, agile, risk management) then by all means do some formal training to learn the basics, but then get out there and apply what you've learned.

Kiron
Thanks for your thoughts Kiron, appreciate it
Network:9



Sep 17, 2019 8:21 AM
Replying to Wade Harshman
...
I'm a fan of honing your craft and building your network. Project Management covers many aspects of business, and you'll get exposure to all of them over time. If you find something that interests you, then pursue that. Until then, focus on project management; it's quite possible to have a long and successful career with nothing more than your PMP. Your growing track record of successful projects will open new opportunities.
Thanks Wade, I tend to agree - have to I have also learnt both good and bad approaches from working with other PM's. Everything is a life lesson!
Network:9



Sep 17, 2019 8:25 AM
Replying to Abolfazl Yousefi Darestani
...
Agree with Kiron.
I do suggest you create a Career Management Plan for yourself and work based on that.
Haven't thought of doing this before, really good idea, thank you
Network:9



Sep 17, 2019 8:59 AM
Replying to Luis Branco
...
What led you to want PMP certification??
I agree with Kiron: "let your career goals and personal interests drive your professional development"
Hi Luis, I have reached my position through hard work and (pretty much) on the job / proactive learning, Felt I wanted to go back to the books and to improve my current role, not to mention being learnings back to more junior PM's in my team. I enjoyed the material and have applied for my PMP exam, waiting to hear when I can take it now. Particularly interested in any tips about reading materials that you have felt useful too? Thank you, Kim
Network:9



Sep 17, 2019 11:01 AM
Replying to GAURAV SINGHAL
...
Since you have completed PMP (Generally it would imply you would want to build up a career in Project management world). So next steps will depend on lots of factors which as rightly put by Kiron will depend on your career goals & interests.
I would suggest indulging with: Attending PM based sessions, join your local PM chapter & build up your network, gain exposure. And yes then there is always formal education where-in you can do some PM based courses from various univ. or institutions. The list is long but all depends on your goals & personal interests.
Appreciate your feedback Gaurav, really helpful! Kim
Page: 1 2 next>  

Please login or join to reply

Content ID:
ADVERTISEMENTS

The smallest feline is a masterpiece.

- Leonardo da Vinci

ADVERTISEMENT

Sponsors