Project Management

Project Management Central

Please login or join to subscribe to this thread
70% Solution and Project Management
Have you heard of the 70% tool?

What is your opinion about the application of this tool to Project Management?
Sort By:
Page: 1 2 next>
The US Marines have a tool they teach their officers called the 70% solution.

If you have 70% of the information you need to have, 70% of the analysis you think is required, and feel 70% confident that you are right—get on with it.

The Marines feel that a well-reasoned decision that is well executed has a fair chance of success, but no action has no chance of success.
Luis,

I translate it as “reasonable due-diligence.”

Project Management is more of an art than a science, as such you are very unlikely to “close the other 30%.” Hence, if you can prove a standard of “reasonableness” then you likely have a candidate for action.
...
1 reply by Luis Branco
Feb 01, 2020 1:59 PM
Luis Branco
...
Dear George
Thank you for participating in this reflection and for your opinion
Feb 01, 2020 1:32 PM
Replying to George Freeman
...
Luis,

I translate it as “reasonable due-diligence.”

Project Management is more of an art than a science, as such you are very unlikely to “close the other 30%.” Hence, if you can prove a standard of “reasonableness” then you likely have a candidate for action.
Dear George
Thank you for participating in this reflection and for your opinion
Dear Luis,

I looks like that the 70% tool generates workable assumption based on limited scope. Why not at least look for the other 30% to at least shore up some of the gaps in your knowledge based. Also how do you know what 70% is of something and what it looks like. Nobody wants to look bad in a meeting if somebody brings something that has been overlooked.

Daire
...
2 replies by Daire Guiney and Luis Branco
Feb 01, 2020 4:51 PM
Luis Branco
...
Dear Daire
Thank you for participating in this reflection and for your opinion

I just shared what the US Marines have a tool they teach their officers called the 70% solution

And put to the consideration of Project Managers what they think about the subject
Feb 02, 2020 7:12 AM
Daire Guiney
...
Dear Luis,

I think this approach is to remove unnecessary planning and is more aligned with the project methodologies of Agile and lean. That is flexible and bare boned approaches in order to get started and then adapt to any changes that occur. Most projects once started do not always follow the project plan anyway so maybe this approach is acknowledgement of this fact and does not waste time on documentation that will probabaly change once it hits the theatre.

Daire
Feb 01, 2020 3:23 PM
Replying to Daire Guiney
...
Dear Luis,

I looks like that the 70% tool generates workable assumption based on limited scope. Why not at least look for the other 30% to at least shore up some of the gaps in your knowledge based. Also how do you know what 70% is of something and what it looks like. Nobody wants to look bad in a meeting if somebody brings something that has been overlooked.

Daire
Dear Daire
Thank you for participating in this reflection and for your opinion

I just shared what the US Marines have a tool they teach their officers called the 70% solution

And put to the consideration of Project Managers what they think about the subject
I'd suggest this is aligned with the principle that 80% today often trumps 100% tomorrow, recognizing that things change and the cost of delay will grow non-linearly past a certain point.

Scott did a good job of covering this in his estimation and planning articles series a few weeks back.
...
1 reply by Luis Branco
Feb 02, 2020 4:58 AM
Luis Branco
...
Dear Kiron
Thank you for participating in this reflection and for your opinion

I had the opportunity to carefully read Scot's articles in his estimation and planning articles
Feb 01, 2020 7:13 PM
Replying to Kiron Bondale
...
I'd suggest this is aligned with the principle that 80% today often trumps 100% tomorrow, recognizing that things change and the cost of delay will grow non-linearly past a certain point.

Scott did a good job of covering this in his estimation and planning articles series a few weeks back.
Dear Kiron
Thank you for participating in this reflection and for your opinion

I had the opportunity to carefully read Scot's articles in his estimation and planning articles
Feb 01, 2020 3:23 PM
Replying to Daire Guiney
...
Dear Luis,

I looks like that the 70% tool generates workable assumption based on limited scope. Why not at least look for the other 30% to at least shore up some of the gaps in your knowledge based. Also how do you know what 70% is of something and what it looks like. Nobody wants to look bad in a meeting if somebody brings something that has been overlooked.

Daire
Dear Luis,

I think this approach is to remove unnecessary planning and is more aligned with the project methodologies of Agile and lean. That is flexible and bare boned approaches in order to get started and then adapt to any changes that occur. Most projects once started do not always follow the project plan anyway so maybe this approach is acknowledgement of this fact and does not waste time on documentation that will probabaly change once it hits the theatre.

Daire
...
1 reply by Luis Branco
Feb 03, 2020 4:41 AM
Luis Branco
...
Dear Daire
Thank you for participating in this reflection and for your opinion

Can it also be applied to projects whose development approach is predictive?
Feb 02, 2020 7:12 AM
Replying to Daire Guiney
...
Dear Luis,

I think this approach is to remove unnecessary planning and is more aligned with the project methodologies of Agile and lean. That is flexible and bare boned approaches in order to get started and then adapt to any changes that occur. Most projects once started do not always follow the project plan anyway so maybe this approach is acknowledgement of this fact and does not waste time on documentation that will probabaly change once it hits the theatre.

Daire
Dear Daire
Thank you for participating in this reflection and for your opinion

Can it also be applied to projects whose development approach is predictive?
Dear Luis,

This 70% approach probably works best with methodologies that lend themselves to be easily modified and worked on at a later stage. So get the basics right, get started and modify accordingly. Its about finding a workable base early own and increment and refine until you reach a workable solution. Having researched the 70% approach a bit more its about hitting the ground running, not wasting time on anything that doesn't produce a result, having a workable approach early own, some measure of fail fast and the ability to scrap something early on if it doesn't work. So to answer your original question, yes predictive would work in this type of environment.

Daire
Page: 1 2 next>  

Please login or join to reply

Content ID:
ADVERTISEMENTS

Waiting for the time when I can finally say that this has all been wonderful but now I'm on my way.

- Phish

ADVERTISEMENT

Sponsors