Please login or join to subscribe to this thread
For CR Tracking I use in my projects SharePoint Lists, as this allows full transparency and collaboration to all involved project team members, flexible in content structure and easy to access and manage with full MS-Office integration.
We are having in house developed Change management tool.
To start with... you can track project changes from excel also
Seif, in response to your futher question I try to clarify:
- to create lists in ShP you need the respective authorization by the ShP administrator in your company (shouldn't be a big deal - talk to your IT Service desk)
- creating lists in ShP is very easy. You need to practise a bit, but once you are familiar with it you can define a CR Tracking list accodingly to your needs that is availabale for all team members you want to manage it (data entry, analysis etc.).
- You can use this lists in a very tight integration with excel
Go to the Microsoft Support.com page and search for Sharepoint Lists and you will find a couple of introduction papers and videos.
Manging change requests, there are many tools, and I will not suugest any one over another, as each can have different benefits to different organization. However, I'll offer some general advise based on my experience.
1) Evaluate all the tools, as to fit for your organization and project. What is available (or can be made available) should be apart of the early planning work on the project. If a current tool works, all the better. However, the project needs for CR (approvals, reporting, etc) may also need a new tool to be bought/built. Do the analysis and make build/buy (if needed) for CR tools.
2) The process to be used, is often a key success factor for projects. Many projects have change. Hey, projects are creating something new and unique, and getting through them without change (or change requests) is rare. Having a solid process (independent of a tool) for intake of requests, evaluation, decision, and communication to all impacted stakeholders is key.
Please login or join to reply