This is the fifth in a series of articles that will comprise a mock-version of a Risk Management Policy for a Commuter Railroad Company (CRC). This article covers risks and avoid mechanisms.
Previous articles covered the scope, purpose, Mission/Vision, customer satisfaction attributes, objectives and goals, typical risks, philosophies for managing risks, risks and accepted impacts, and risks and transfer mechanisms.
Future articles will cover other policy topics for managing project risks.
Risks and Avoid Mechanisms
Risks avoided by the CRC require that the identified risk factor be eliminated from the project Below is a description on managing this type risk:
Avoiding a risk at the CRC indicates that regardless of probability and impacts, the impacts of the risk can not be managed by the CRC. CRC will implement the necessary controls to ensure all processes from initiation to closeout eliminate the risk factor from arising. The decision to avoid the risk initiates preventive action that includes implementing changes in scope, schedule, budget, quality, management responsibility or execution means and methods.
• RISK/MECHANISM: Operating Environment Deteriorates. Not applicable.
• RISK/MECHANISM: Infrastructure Problems Occur. Not applicable.
• RISK/MECHANISM: Customer Disputes Occur. The avoid mechanism includes customer outreach on fares and crew training.
• RISK/MECHANISM: Medical Emergencies Occur. The avoid mechanism includes corporate safety plans and training, contract work practice safety plans, contract work plans requirements and construction monitoring on projects.
• RISK/MECHANISM: Assisted Passenger Loading Increases. Not applicable.
• RISK/MECHANISM: Train Cleanliness Decreases. The avoid mechanism includes a quality control process and quality assurance monitoring.
• RISK/MECHANISM: Train HVAC Performance Decreases. The avoid mechanism includes a quality control process and quality assurance monitoring.
• RISK/MECHANISM: Outside Entity Fouls Right of Way. The avoid mechanism includes engineering track outages plans, track outages weekly/monthly meetings, contract work restrictions, contract flag protection requirements, contract work plan requirements and construction monitoring on projects.
• RISK/MECHANISM: MTA Priorities or Goals Change. Not applicable.
• RISK/MECHANISM: Corporate Policies and Procedures Change. Not applicable.
• RISK/MECHANISM: Union Agreements Change or Disputes Occur. Not applicable.
• RISK/MECHANISM: Political Influence Creates Changes. The avoid mechanism includes customer outreach on operating changes and community outreach on capital projects. Saving Changes...