Project Management Central

Please login or join to subscribe to this thread

Topics: Scrum
WHY DOES 5 WHITE SHIRT OFFICE WORKERS WITH POCKET PROTECTORS QUALIFY AS "SCRUM"-EVER PLAY RUGBY?
Network:16

I would like someone to explain to me how the Sport I love has been usurped by IT guys to describe an intellectual office based process. Ever play the game? Scrum is the last term one would use if they were familiar with the 8 large men/women forming a rugby scrum- usually bandaged, dirty and battered. They are integral to the physicality and violence associated with the sport. I have the scars to prove it.
I find this hijacking of the Most Macho term in sport for this purpose. Scrum Master? if one would be stealing terminology from Rugby accurately that would equate to the Hooker....

How did this happen?
M
Sort By:
Network:514

Your post's title made me laugh. :-)
I’m pretty sure the term 'scrum' was chosen to illustrate how closely an Agile team needs to collaborate, which is much more closely than most people realize.
I played rugby for a brief time. When I imagine people sitting some distance apart around a conference room table, then imagine sweaty, bloody rugby players jammed cheek-to-jowl with their arms tight around one another and their bodies mashed together, the message regarding how intimately an Agile team must work together seems clear. I’m sure ‘scrum’ is also meant to convey an Agile team’s need to brutally thrash out issues to complete sprints on time. When I look at my teams working together on a project, I'd say the term 'scrum' is fitting.
Network:13986

Ah the sport I can't stand, along with golf. Wasn't "scrum" actually taken from the word "scrummage" in the 19th century, and that word was taken from "scrimmage" which dates back to the 15th century and meaning "a rough or vigorous struggle"? Another spin off from the word "skirmish." But I digress. Yes I agree the idea came from the team's need to "huddle" close and nut out a solution. These huddled sessions have been going on for centuries long before think necks donned bright shirts on a muddy turf.
Network:800

Well Mark
I am not into the scrum-agile world - so cannot help. Thank you for the laugh
Network:1967

All working as one for a common goal.
Network:1059

Mark,

Sounds like a valid concern to raise with Hirotaka Takeuchi & Ikujiro Nonaka or with Jeff Sutherland & Ken Schwaber depending on who you blame for the hijacking of the term...

Kiron
Network:1653

I understand your point. Is similar what happen to me when I heard the name soccer instead of futbol (football). I have the opportunity to take courses with the creators mainly with Sutherland. What I heard from them was it’s used as a metaphor to reflect the degree of cooperation needed to succeed. I understood it was used for honoring the sport, for honoring Rugby.. But I agree with you about the feeling. I felt ridiculous when I had to simulate the formation when performed daily stand-up meetings in some place I had the opportunity to work and they wanted to implement the method "by the book" like if that ensure the success. .Very sad indeed. I have a lot of respect for the sport in general (I was professional player in the past) and for Rugby in particular. I have friends playing Rugby.
Network:445

Scrum is such a dirty sounding word .....it's like " You have not delivered a project ...you have just "Scrummed" the surface.

That Scribbling and Scrummage of stuff all over the wall ? is that what you call a project Plan ??
Where's your PMP , Where is your Test Plan , Wheres your Test Summary Report ....I can see you have a partially working piece of software quickly "SCRUMMED" up , but where is the Design? Where is the Support Plan ? Do you intend to throw it over the fence and just "SCRUM" off from here?
Network:13986

haha Deepesh, if I didn't hate rugby so much, I might agree with you.
Network:1059

You can be agile without following a specific agile methodology. Scrum nomenclature can turn off some stakeholders so I prefer unbranded terms like iteration and daily standup.

Kiron
Network:785

Mark wrote:

"Scrum is the last term one would use if they were familiar with the 8 large men/women forming a rugby scrum- usually bandaged, dirty and battered. They are integral to the physicality and violence associated with the sport. I have the scars to prove it."

Bandaged, dirty, battered, and scarred sounds appropriate for some companies. The violence may not be physical, but I guarantee there are people who have found the comparison to be realistic.

Please login or join to reply

Content ID:
ADVERTISEMENTS

"If you want to please only the critics, don't play too loud, too soft, too fast or too slow."

- Arturo Toscanini

ADVERTISEMENT

Sponsors