Project Management Central

Please login or join to subscribe to this thread

Topics: Agile, Scrum
CSM vs PMI-ACP?

What are the benefits of having both of these or just one?

I hear through the grapevines that its smart to do the CSM first, then the PMI-ACP? Or perhaps just to do the PMI-ACP.

Anyone thoughts on these?
Sort By:
Page: 1 2 next>

Both are totally different. I will assume that when you wrote "CSM" you are talking about Certified Scrum Master. PMI-ACP is for people that work using several methods inside environments based on Agile. CSM is epecific to Scrum. In my case, I have PMI-ACP and I have DSDM AC&P which is DSDM specific.

Can't say add much more than Sergio. The two are not comparable. You can certainly do both, or just one. Only you can decide which is best for your current situation or career.

CSM credential provides you knowledge on Scrum methodology in agile but you are not exposed to other variants in agile practices that are used across the industry.

I think if you have ACP then you don't need CSM, unless you want to be a Scrum Master; it is covered in the ACP exam anyway.

I'm chuffed to bits by Sergio reply, he explained thoroughly and mentioned about Dynamic System Development Method which is another agile project delivery framework.I am also planning to take PMI-ACP which I think is more suitable for me.

That's enlightening, thanks Mr. Sergio Luis Conte.

Salvatore -

If the organization you are working for has implemented Scrum, then the CSM might be a quicker "fix", although there are . If you are looking for a credential which reflects a broader based on agile awareness, then the ACP would be a better candidate.

The CSM purely tests knowledge - you take a course and write the exam. The ACP requires actual experience in addition to knowledge. If you have Scrum experience, the CSP might be a more valuable option than the CSM.

Kiron

This discussion came up before. Anton Oosthuizen gave a great answer to me "ACP is aimed at proving your ability to manage agile projects as a whole, rather than manage agile teams. Scrum Alliance certifications are more focused on the methodology itself and the team. Which one is better? They are too different to compare and which is more beneficial would depend on your position and aspirations. If you are planning to work 'outside' the agile team managing agile project delivery then ACP is probably best, if you are planning to work 'inside' the agile team as part of the team then something like CSPO/CSM would be better. "

The challenge I have found with the ACP is that recruiters do not know what it is yet.

For a PM more valuable would be certainly the PMI-ACP.
If you prefer Scrum alone and you have opportunity to blend in the roles on some of the projects, by being the SM, then why not, go for the CSM. It will definitely add to and broaden the particular Scrum knowledge.
In most cases I worked on, we never had an SM position as full time job, rather it was a rotational role among the project team members.
Within my network, I have found this role is usually being played by senior developers who also have some leadership capacity.

There's more than one way to approach this. Getting your CSM, first, might give you more opportunities to work on "agile" projects while you prepare for the ACP. If you're looking to change jobs, are the employers you are interested in working for looking for CSMs or ACPs?

To be honest, it will probably be a while before you see a lot of employers looking for the ACP certification. The CSM is more likely to get your resume past HR, and then the ACP can be leveraged in the interview process - you can explain the value it brings.

If you've met most or all of the qualifications for the ACP, and don't need a new certification for your resume, skipping the CSM won't hurt you. If you need something quick, the CSM might be the better short term choice.
Page: 1 2 next>  

Please login or join to reply

Content ID:
ADVERTISEMENTS

"Weaseling out of things is good. It's what separates us from the other animals....except weasels."

- Homer Simpson

ADVERTISEMENT

Sponsors