Project Management Central

Please login or join to subscribe to this thread

Should PMI change the way they award PDU's?

Someone can work a few years as a project manager and gain further experience, yet only receive a maximum of 8 PDU's from PMI toward their PMP renewal. On the other hand, someone can read a book, even very slowly, and claim 1 PDU for each hour of reading. Is this fair? Shouldn't reading a book or article be worth say 0.25 PDU's or even 0.1 PDU's? What do you think?
Sort By:
Page: 1 2 3 next>

Hi Sante,
I agree with you that 1 hour of reading should be worth less. When I read a book I claim 1 PDU regardless of the time it took me to read it. But then one can ask why is 1 hour of webinar worth 1 PDU ? Do you consider than that the value of webinars is higher than that of books ?
I am aware that finding the right way to award PDUs is no easy task , there will always be people who think that the system should be different. The question is who gets to vote whether the system is good or not ?
1 reply by Sante Vergini
Jan 03, 2018 7:37 AM
Sante Vergini
Thanks for responding Nenad. Yes one can ask why 1 webinar is worth 1 PDU. I have often thought the same thing. I guess one difference is that a webinar is tangible evidence of content delivery that delivers knowledge and already exists on the website and one has to watch it fully in order to get the PDU, whereas a book being read is just someone's word. So I guess there is a little more credibility with the webinar. However, 1 PDU for either scenario seems excessive when compared to 8 PDU's maximum when working for years as a PM. I am not suggesting the 8 PDU's should be higher, my case is that perhaps the 1 hour of reading or watching a webinar should be awarded far less than 1 PDU.

Jan 03, 2018 4:41 AM
Replying to Nenad Pesic
Hi Sante,
I agree with you that 1 hour of reading should be worth less. When I read a book I claim 1 PDU regardless of the time it took me to read it. But then one can ask why is 1 hour of webinar worth 1 PDU ? Do you consider than that the value of webinars is higher than that of books ?
I am aware that finding the right way to award PDUs is no easy task , there will always be people who think that the system should be different. The question is who gets to vote whether the system is good or not ?
Thanks for responding Nenad. Yes one can ask why 1 webinar is worth 1 PDU. I have often thought the same thing. I guess one difference is that a webinar is tangible evidence of content delivery that delivers knowledge and already exists on the website and one has to watch it fully in order to get the PDU, whereas a book being read is just someone's word. So I guess there is a little more credibility with the webinar. However, 1 PDU for either scenario seems excessive when compared to 8 PDU's maximum when working for years as a PM. I am not suggesting the 8 PDU's should be higher, my case is that perhaps the 1 hour of reading or watching a webinar should be awarded far less than 1 PDU.

Sure, maybe there can be tweaks here or there, but as a whole, the structure is solid. I'm happy with what has been set-up. Additionally, they had recently changed, so they are fairly dynamic in that regard.

For reading, it is actually 1 PDU for every hour of learning. With the supplied notes from the read, and how it maps to the talent triangle, with the submission reviewed prior to approval. One PDU for a webinar is good. The goal is that we continually learn. The PDU's are simply the carrot for our professional development :)
2 replies by Krishna Pakki and Sante Vergini
Jan 03, 2018 8:31 AM
Sante Vergini
Granted Andrew, 1 PDU is awarded for each hour of learning. Is that to say then that the maximum 8 PDU's awarded for work experience in the profession equates to 8 hours of learning in a few years? ;-)
Jan 03, 2018 2:18 PM
Krishna Pakki
Completely agree here. I get my PDUs pretty much in one year most of the times, that doesn't stop me from learning or continued professional development.The recent change to have certain number of PDUs in technical, strategic and leadership triangle helps everyone to focus on different facets of professional development too.

Sante -

I agree that verifying book-based learning is challenging but I've worked with some folks who never learned anything from the projects they managed whereas all it takes is the brilliance of one author to open someone's eyes. There are a few books out there which I feel broadened my knowledge well beyond what I'd learned through on-the-job learning.

Kiron
1 reply by Sante Vergini
Jan 03, 2018 8:35 AM
Sante Vergini
Kiron, indeed there are some great books out there. I'll even grant that some books teach us a lot more than on-the-job learning (within finite time), but what I am really interested to know is: does 1 hour reading/learning from a book and getting 1 PDU really equate to say 750 hours working as a PM professional? (40 hours per week, say 50 weeks per year, over 3 years renewal cycle = 6000 hours / 8 PDU's = 750).

Jan 03, 2018 7:46 AM
Replying to Andrew Craig
Sure, maybe there can be tweaks here or there, but as a whole, the structure is solid. I'm happy with what has been set-up. Additionally, they had recently changed, so they are fairly dynamic in that regard.

For reading, it is actually 1 PDU for every hour of learning. With the supplied notes from the read, and how it maps to the talent triangle, with the submission reviewed prior to approval. One PDU for a webinar is good. The goal is that we continually learn. The PDU's are simply the carrot for our professional development :)
Granted Andrew, 1 PDU is awarded for each hour of learning. Is that to say then that the maximum 8 PDU's awarded for work experience in the profession equates to 8 hours of learning in a few years? ;-)

Jan 03, 2018 7:52 AM
Replying to Kiron Bondale
Sante -

I agree that verifying book-based learning is challenging but I've worked with some folks who never learned anything from the projects they managed whereas all it takes is the brilliance of one author to open someone's eyes. There are a few books out there which I feel broadened my knowledge well beyond what I'd learned through on-the-job learning.

Kiron
Kiron, indeed there are some great books out there. I'll even grant that some books teach us a lot more than on-the-job learning (within finite time), but what I am really interested to know is: does 1 hour reading/learning from a book and getting 1 PDU really equate to say 750 hours working as a PM professional? (40 hours per week, say 50 weeks per year, over 3 years renewal cycle = 6000 hours / 8 PDU's = 750).
1 reply by Kiron Bondale
Jan 03, 2018 9:50 AM
Kiron Bondale
Perhaps PMI wishes to give higher weighting to explicit learning effort as that demonstrates greater initiative and planning than just "doing one's job"?

Kiron

I would not comment on if 1 PDU for an hour webinar or reading a book is more or less. Or on 8 PDUs for a year of managing projects. I would just say that not everyone who is a PMP or any certification holder is managing projects. Some maybe assigned to administrative jobs etc and reading a book related to project management or listening to a webinar might be the only way to keep themselves current, informed, improve knowledge and of-course keep their certification intact.
I believe that PMIs approach to accommodate all their certified PMs is well balanced and practical.

Completely agree with Andrew and Kiron. In my opinion the 1 hour webinar 1 PDU is fair since. Given the statement One Professional Development Unit. I even met organizations where the PM designation is wrong, not to mention the PMs lack the PMI methodologies knowledge.

In a pessimistic world, let's just assume PM's that get awarded PDU's for professional work do possess the appropriate knowledge to qualify for the PDU's, and let's also assume that the people who say they read and learned from reading a book for 1 hour really did read the book/article and learned something, the question is does 1 hour reading anything equate to 750 hours of professional work? If not, then the only correct scale is to raise the PDU's for proffessional work, or lower the PDU's for reading a book for 1 hour.

Jan 03, 2018 8:35 AM
Replying to Sante Vergini
Perhaps PMI wishes to give higher weighting to explicit learning effort as that demonstrates greater initiative and planning than just "doing one's job"?

Kiron
1 reply by Sante Vergini
Jan 03, 2018 4:20 PM
Sante Vergini
What if doing one's job is training/teaching/coaching others who by participating receive explicit learning? Does working at that job for 750 hours equate to 1 PDU as opposed to reading an article or book for an hour?
Page: 1 2 3 next>  

Please login or join to reply

Content ID:
ADVERTISEMENTS

"Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

- Mark Twain