Project Management Central

Please login or join to subscribe to this thread

Topics: Agile, IT Project Management, PMO
What tools do you use to manage simultaneously multiple similar projects?

I have to manage multiple similar projects, with almost the same tasks. Not all the projects will start at the same time, they will be shifted depending on the customer agreement to launch the project. I know about excel but I search something more ingenious and professional. I've heard also about managing in MS Project via Master Project, never using this function. What is your opinion?
Sort By:
Page: 1 2 next>

Since you will be managing multiple projects with similar tasks make a template project plan in MS Project with those common tasks. Now you can copy that template and give it a project name and adust the dates and add tasks to the project. After you have created all your sub MS Projects you will need to create the master MS Project that will link in all the sub MS Projects you created.

Linking sub projects to a master makes it easy to manage. You will be able to view all your sub projects on the Gantt Chart.
1 reply by Joseph Fokoua
Feb 11, 2018 1:27 PM
Joseph Fokoua
Hi Drake,
can you tell more about creating "the master MS Project that will link in all the sub MS Projects" ? How do you get it done practically?

Suggested further to MS Project you can use Primavera or SAP PS depending on the type and complexity of projects.

I concur with Drake on this.

I use MS project server and CA PPM

I think Riter could help you. You can work simultaneously with several projects, just choose several ones and all their tasks are listed together, so that you should not switch between projects all the time.

Which of those solutions offer also reporting and analysis facilities? Having around 20 similar projects at the same time, I am interested to have a visual representation on the advacement of all projects in the same place.

MS Project can generate project dashboards that you can customize.

Catalin -

MS Project offers greater richness of PM-focused capability, but what do you specifically need? Just because it has a bunch of great features, that power comes with great responsibility and if you don't use the underlying scheduler properly, you can get into trouble much easier than with MS Excel...

Kiron
1 reply by Catalin Babalac
Feb 11, 2018 4:58 PM
Catalin Babalac
Hello Kiron,

I used MS project in the past for single based separate projects. Now under the same hat I will have to implement small software products to different departments inside the company. We expect to have several projects (10-20) running at the same time. Because we want to promote ourselves (the project team) as digital advocates towards the board we need to use intelligent tools, easy to use, that can deliver nice graphs on the status of each project. We need to automatize everything as much as possible, in terms of reporting. We have licenses of MS project, but maybe there are some other leading new generation tools that worth the attention - I heard about proofhub.com

Feb 09, 2018 9:25 AM
Replying to Drake Settsu
Since you will be managing multiple projects with similar tasks make a template project plan in MS Project with those common tasks. Now you can copy that template and give it a project name and adust the dates and add tasks to the project. After you have created all your sub MS Projects you will need to create the master MS Project that will link in all the sub MS Projects you created.

Linking sub projects to a master makes it easy to manage. You will be able to view all your sub projects on the Gantt Chart.
Hi Drake,
can you tell more about creating "the master MS Project that will link in all the sub MS Projects" ? How do you get it done practically?

Simply b/c there are similar tasks, may not warrant unnecessary complexity. Be aware MS Project has license costs, so if the organization does not already utilize MS Project, going that route may prove more difficult than just the implementation. What is allowed within your organization? That will help to identify a solution that would be available to you. What do you use currently?
1 reply by Catalin Babalac
Feb 11, 2018 5:05 PM
Catalin Babalac
Hello Andrew,

We use today MS Project and subsequently other kanban tools. We want something automated in terms of reporting the status of the project + gantt chart for each individual project without using an excel, to promote ourselves as advocates for automation. For example I heard about proofhub.com.
Page: 1 2 next>  

Please login or join to reply

Content ID:
ADVERTISEMENTS

I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then, after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?

- Jack Handey