Crosstalk Magazine, The Journal of Defense Software Engineering:
"The Tragedy of the Commons: Establishing a Strategic Project Management Office (PMO)".
My purpose was to define how establishing and maintaining a strategic project office will help facilitate and maintain corporate transformation to a new level of efficiency, productivity, quality and commitment to excellence.
I also published an article in Crosstalk Magazine that examines the relationship of Agile, CMMI®, Lean Production and the Six Sigma Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control (DMAIC) roadmap. The intent is to explain how these methodologies might be synergistically combined for a cohesive approach to enhance continuous process improvement.
The Perfect Process Storm: Integration of CMMI, Agile and Lean Six Sigma
INDUS Technology, Inc. (San Diego, CA) September 2010-Present
Senior Project Management Consultant responsible for US Navy SPAWAR (SSC Pacific) Project Management and Business Process Improvement initiatives in support of CMMI ML3 certification and other process initiatives for multiple US Department of Defense (DoD) projects.
• Primary responsibility for improvements in Project Management practices, including budgeting, scheduling, decision analysis, requirements, risk & configuration management, communications planning, metrics analysis & reporting and standardization of practices across constituencies.
• Completed, documented and formally presented CMMI assessments for 14 Agile & Waterfall projects, leveraging best practices with recommendations for improvement.
• Tracked, monitored and reported project progress against schedules using MS Project, Excel and PowerPoint presentations to project leads and Systems Center Senior Management.
• Resolved communications inefficiencies and managed stakeholder issues and risks to closure.
• Awarded CMMI Level 3-Dev certification Software Engineering Institute (SEI).
InnovaSystems, International LLC (San Diego, CA) October 2005-June 2010
Senior Project Manager and Process Engineer for DoD contractor to the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), responsible for military readiness and reporting software applications.
• Primary responsibility for Integrated Project Management and Business Process Improvement processes for 18 Agile SCRUM software development projects.
• Established and led deployment of formal Strategic Project Management Office (PMO)
• Authored numerous standard project management documentation associated with BPI
• Conducted gap analyses of project processes against CMMI requirements; Initiated and implemented strategies based on results.
• Scheduled, tracked, organized and reviewed Project, Process, Engineering and Support practices & artifacts for compliance with CMMI.
• Participated in formal SEI CMMI SCAMPI B appraisal teams for both Level 2 and Level 3 certification; Awarded CMMI Level 3-Dev certification in 2010 by SEI.
USAA (San Antonio, TX) February 2005-April 2005
Senior Technical Project Manager for USAA Credit Union, a CMM Level 3 financial institution, under contract to TEKsystems, Inc. Responsible for managing multiple enterprise-wide projects from concept definition to contract closeout.
RediStaff Consulting Group (San Diego, CA) June 2003-January 2005
Senior Technical Consultant responsible for contract and direct-hire recruiting for the IT industry.
Government Marketing Group (GMG), Inc. (San Diego, CA) October 2001-April 2003
Director of Program Management & IT Operations for national technical and non-technical product sales & services organization with annual sales in excess of $300 million dollars. As a member of the Senior Corporate Management staff, responsible for day-to-day company operations, including the following.
• Directly supervised 8 key-staff Program Managers of Business Development, Sales, Production, Logistics, Client Services, Contract Management, Accounting & Finance and Human Resources.
• Managed project selection/prioritization and financial plan using ROI & Cost-Benefit Analyses.
• Measured project performance using EVMS in compliance with ANSI/EIA standards to perform variance analyses, forecast future performance and determine Estimates at Completion (EACs).
• Managed customer, sponsor and sales/service staff relationships to facilitate optimal client satisfaction and effective communication, resulting in increased sales and revenue.
ALLTEL Information Services (now FIS) (San Diego, CA) May 1998-September 2001
Senior Program Manager for Advanced Commercial Banking System (ACBS), an integrated family of commercial lending solutions licensed by more than 50 leading financial institutions.
• Hired personnel/managed multiple teams of up to 32 software Sales, Development, QA and Banking Consultant professionals in the sale and customization of ACBS for client banks. Developed, tracked and controlled project budgets via MS Project and review of client invoices using Crystal Reports.
• Served as PMO Process Engineer for overall corporate Business Process Improvement initiatives.
• Developed and published PMO required corporate standards for Change Management, Client Emergency Contact Procedures and documents associated with adoption of CMM processes and procedures.
• Managed full life-cycle custom software implementations for the following commercial banks
ABN Amro Bank (Amsterdam)
Bank of America (Charlotte)
Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi (New York)
Chase Manhattan Bank (New York)
CIBC (Toronto/New York/London)
FujiBank (New York)
JP Morgan (New York)
Natwest Markets (London)
NM Rothschild (London)
State Street Bank (Boston)
Trandes Corporation (San Diego, CA) September 1996-April 1998
Program Manager of systems integration program for Federal Government and Commercial clients. Responsible for Project Management tasking, tracking and scheduling of project hardware and software efforts for RAMSTM – a remote device management and monitoring system. using Microsoft Project.
IIT Research Institute (now ALION), DoD Joint Spectrum Center (Annapolis, MD) January 1979-September 1996
Project Manager (MS Project Tracking, Budgeting & Scheduling), RF/Electromagnetic Engineer & Software Engineer for the multiple Federal Government projects.