Sean Whitaker, BA, MSc, MBA, PMP, Fellow of PMI NZ
Sean is an internationally recognized project management specialist providing advice on improving organizational and practitioner portfolio, program and project management capability, which has included working with some of the world’s most complex mining, IT, space exploration, defense, energy, banking, research and telecommunications organizations helping to improve portfolio, program and project management capability for the organization and for individual practitioners. Sean is also an accomplished and popular conference speaker and has regularly presented at conferences around the globe. In 2016 he was recognized as one of the 123 top Global Influencers in the profession of project management.
He is the author of many bestselling books on project management and a recognized subject matter expert on the profession of project management. His publications include:
• PMP® Training Kit, Microsoft Press/OReilly Publishing, 2013
• PMP® Rapid Review, Microsoft Press/OReilly Publishing, 2013
• PMP® Examination Practice Questions for the PMBOK® Guide, 5th edition, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2014
• The Professional Project Manager, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2014
• The Benefits of Tailoring: Making your project management methodology fit, PMI White Paper 2014
Sean is also widely recognised for his ability to perform as a project manager in the ‘real world’ for over 20 years, as demonstrated by his extensive and successful project management career in construction, IT, telecommunications and urban infrastructure.
Sean has developed and delivered project, programme and portfolio management training from introductory up to international credential level (PMP®). These courses, workshops and seminars have been run in Australia, New Zealand, the USA and Papua New Guinea. In addition to bespoke in-house courses for corporate clients, and publicly run training courses, Sean has also developed and/or delivered project management courses for tertiary institutions from undergraduate to postgraduate level, including the University of Canterbury (Christchurch), CPIT (Christchurch), WINTEC (Hamilton), NorthTec (Whangarei), Manakau IT (Auckland), Victoria University (Wellington), Lincoln University (Christchurch), & Curtin University (Sydney).
Sean holds a range of credentials and qualifications including a BA, an MSc, and an MBA and has been a certified Project Management Professional (PMP) since 2004.
Sean is also a proud member of the Project Management Institute, is an active member of the project management profession and community, is a Fellow of the Project Management Institute of New Zealand, is a current member of the PMI Awards Member Advisory Group (MAG) and was a member of the PMI Board Volunteer Advisory Committee (BVAC) 2013-2015.
As a consultant, speaker, trainer and presenter Sean is renowned for his ability to connect. This is what people who have seen him speak have to say:
• “Sean is everything you could want in a project manager – extremely pragmatic, approachable and knowledgeable. Above all, Sean has a real passion for project management which is part of what makes him such a good project manager.”-
• “Your presentation was very inspiring and had me thinking of some of the things I want to accomplish in my lifetime in my profession and for my volunteer work.”
• “You are a very talented speaker and have left me thinking about Leadership in a new profound way.” t
• “Your commitment and professionalism whilst maintaining interests outside teaching (which seems to enable you to maintain your passion and energy) stands out and is good role modelling”
• “Best session so far at PMI.”
• “Thank you so much for making project management a lot of fun!”