In many transformation initiatives, there is a disconnect between top and bottom — that is, the executives mandating the change and the teams adapting it. Vertical slicing is a cross-functional, cross-level approach that removes communication barriers and leverages interconnected change agents throughout the organization to test and validate decisions.
29 items found
The author’s team conducted a business process review to analyze a large database of changes. The benefits from the resulting change management system outlined in this article, including reduced change order processing times, better definitions of team member roles, and empowerment of the people closest to the action, contributed to improved project quality.
Here is a framework that can help project managers guide the decision-making process with stakeholders on major change initiatives. Encouraging a broader perspective on the short- and long-term impact of changes — from people and processes to business and technology — it addresses four domains and 18 factors.
For organizations and teams, change is a factor whether it is intended to be or not. Making change part of the DNA of the organization is difficult—but can provide great rewards.
Any software implementation should enable or enhance a business process. Unfortunately, many organizations mistakenly believe that the technology itself is the solution. In reality, it is at best 10 percent of the value equation — the other 90 percent is based on the human factor.
Change initiatives can be mentally and physically taxing because it is more challenging to be in a “mindful” state of learning something new than in a “mindless” state of doing the familiar. Physical or cognitive “nudges” help — not by forcing adoption of new ideas, but by creatively eliminating obstacles so that it happens naturally.
Project managers excel at managing the project schedule, but many of us are not accustomed to revisiting the original premise of a project. There are four very simple and practical “perception” risk mitigation techniques that PMs and teams can implement.
Putting a well-documented change management plan in place can reduce the problems associated with scope creep, while at the same time establish a timeline of activities. By having your organization establish its own change management plan, clients have a method through which they can submit change requests for product fixes and enhancements.
Successful business transformation programs must integrate strategy, people, process, metrics and technology. That’s a lot of moving parts. Here, a seasoned change leader discusses his field-tested roadmap for executing complex initiatives that drive innovation and create tangible value.
When a project induces an organizational change and we must manage the change team, it may turn into an exercise in masochism. Being equipped with technical project management tools and techniques is not enough. What else do you need? Here we approach the border of psychology and explore team dynamics theories.