Ground rules establishes an agreement on how meetings will be run, how team members are expected to interact, and what behaviors are acceptable & unacceptable. An established technique to promote acceptable behaviors by minimizing confusion and misunderstandings, leading to increased productivity. A great technique to bring the team together.
- Team should define ground rules that are acceptable by all, and can be used each time they meet
- Ground rules can be reinforced, modified or removed in case of unacceptable/unproductive behavior
- Ground rules, along with any other group agreements, must be socialized and made easily available to all group members.
- Prepare a clear Agenda
- Each team member work individually or with a partner
- Each team member may take few minutes to think & share best practices from past projects, behaviors and actions that helped them perform
- Team shares best practices with the larger audience
- Team creates ground rules leveraging these best practices
- Ground Rules for Winners: 12 Keys to Managing Team Players, Tough Bosses, Setbacks, and Success. Joe Torre, Henry Dreher. Hyperion publishing, 1999.
- Ground Rules in Humanitarian Design. Alice Min Soo Chun, Irene E. Brisson. Wiley publishing, 2015.
- Warren Buffett's Ground Rules. Jeremy Miller. Profile Books Ltd, 2016.