There are 5 stages of conflict – in the order of light to severe:
- A Problem to solve – a problem occurs or is presented.
- Disagreement – everyone tries to protect their own interests.
- Contest – people begin taking sides (a you-vs-me situation).
- Crusade – people in conflict will make over-generalization in judgement, not just about the problem but also about the persons.
- World War – the problem is now unresolvable, either one side will survive. It is advisable to try to resolve conflicts early in the stage to reach a consensus with effective conflict resolution strategies:
- Confronting – open dialogue (everyone is able to voice out their opinions) leading to problem resolution to create a win-win situation.
- Collaboration – working together to reach mutually agreed solution.