Created by Dean Leffingwell, Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), is an approach to scaling agile practices across an enterprise. Providing guidance at the portfolio, program and team level, its’ a proven framework based on the principles of Lean and Agile.refhttps://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en
In short, SAFe is a set of best practices and models for implementing agile practices at enterprise scale. It aims to address some of the problems identified with other agile methodologies when attempting to scale.
- Enterprise architecture
- Enterprise Integration
- Funding across the organization
- Global Governance
- Positions at scale
SAFe is a highly complex methodology and is constantly evolving. SAFe principles include:
- Take an economic view
- Apply systems thinking
- Assume variability; preserve options
- Build incrementally with fast, integrated learning cycles
- Base milestones on objective evaluations of working systems
- Visualize and limit work in process, reduce batch sizes, and manage queue lengths
- Apply cadence, synchronize with cross-domain planning
- Unlock the intrinsic motivation of knowledge workers
- Decentralize decision-making
There are three levels in SAFe:
- Scrum with XP engineering practices are used
- Deliver working, fully tested software every two weeks (one iteration).
- There are five to nine members of each team
- Agile Release Train (ART) is the program equivalent to an interation for a team.
- Between five and ten teams work together on a train. They synchronize release and iteration boundaries.
- Every ten weeks (five iterations) a ART delivers a Potentially Shippable Increment (PSI).
- Demo and inspections occur on all PSIs
- Planning begins for the next PSI during or directly after the inspection.
- Features can originate at the Program level, or from the epics at the Portfolio level.
- The Release Train Engineer (RTE) is the macro-ScrumMaster
- Investment themes drive budget allocations with a span of six to twelve months
- Business epics (customer-facing) and architectural epics (technology solutions)
- Manage epics in a kanban system
- SAFe® 4.0 Distilled: Applying the Scaled Agile Framework® for Lean Software and Systems Engineering 1st Edition. Richard Knaster, Dean Leffingwell. Addison-Wesley Professional, March 13, 2017.