Project Management

Project Management Central

Please login or join to subscribe to this thread

Topics: Agile, Scheduling, Using PMI Standards
Estimating the task
In a project, I have a task that takes 10 minutes to complete on an average. There will be several of these tasks that my team will perform every day, we have an estimated count for such tasks every month. I am requesting an additional resource and hence providing a justification. I need suggestion that how I should estimate the daily time since practically it is not 8 hours multiply by 60 minutes and divide by 10 mins = 48 task per day. I want to compute a achievable number, because there can be many distractions that will affect the final output. I want to come up with a realistic number. Or if you can suggest a team activity, I will be more keen to work with team to list down possible scenarios and then choose the best option. I have access to Mural, if anyone can suggest a template in Murals. (This is a new task so even the team is unsure how much time they should quote because the test tasks we handled were very simple)
Sort By:
Vipin -

Assuming these are truly team tasks and not activities which are solely performed by an individual, I'd look at a team-level metric such as throughput based on the existing team size/skills. Then, you could present a justification to management based on an improvement in throughput resulting from the addition of a team member. If you have good historical data, then a Monte Carlo simulation could provide you with a confidence range for how many tasks could be completed within a given amount of time.

However, adding someone will only help if the work being done is not optimally staffed to begin with and if the main bottleneck to "doing more" is the team size.

Kiron
...
1 reply by Vipin Verma
May 12, 2022 12:44 PM
Vipin Verma
...
Thanks Kiron, I did not elaborated my question correctly - sorry for that. The work that I am estimating is new scope, not being done by team currently. I worked with team to come up with a proof of concept and then we decided that this new task will take average 10 min. The duration might change when we will actually start work on it (only if the scope is accepted with resource assigned) - depends on attitude/efficiency/motivation of additional person we will hire. My current purpose is to justify the time that will be spent on these tasks in the duration of the project, which will be several months. I am gonna use the 80% and 20% suggestion from Keith. Do advise any improvement. Thank you.
Let me ask the question: does the completion of one of these 10-minutes tasks add value? Unless, reporting one of them as completed is significant, I would consider using a bucket activity to contain all these tasks. Then, you just have to assign a percentage of a resource to complete the "activity" over a set duration.
...
1 reply by Vipin Verma
May 12, 2022 12:50 PM
Vipin Verma
...
I have bucketed all these task and have come to a conclusion that I need an additional resource if I have to fulfill these tasks since these were not in the scope earlier. This is going to bring value to customer and they understand it. I know a rough quantity of such tasks that the project will receive in a month and now I am estimating resource(s) for it. I will be presenting a justification for mandays and I will be questioned on the time i am estimating. I will use the approach suggested by Keith to use 80% efficiency that the resource will be effectively working. Thanks.
A fairly standard estimate for how much time people actually dedicate to a project when assigned full time is 80%. Non-project team meetings, training, performance management, 5S, doctor visits, etc. is the other 20%.

If you have data on how many tasks you actually complete, use that metric. If not, you could assume 10 minute tasks but a 6.4 hour day as a basis for estimate until you get better data.
...
1 reply by Vipin Verma
May 12, 2022 12:35 PM
Vipin Verma
...
Thanks Keith. This helps. Thanks for the guidance. Yes I wanted to project the practical efficiency of the additional resource.
May 12, 2022 11:05 AM
Replying to Keith Novak
...
A fairly standard estimate for how much time people actually dedicate to a project when assigned full time is 80%. Non-project team meetings, training, performance management, 5S, doctor visits, etc. is the other 20%.

If you have data on how many tasks you actually complete, use that metric. If not, you could assume 10 minute tasks but a 6.4 hour day as a basis for estimate until you get better data.
Thanks Keith. This helps. Thanks for the guidance. Yes I wanted to project the practical efficiency of the additional resource.
May 12, 2022 7:39 AM
Replying to Kiron Bondale
...
Vipin -

Assuming these are truly team tasks and not activities which are solely performed by an individual, I'd look at a team-level metric such as throughput based on the existing team size/skills. Then, you could present a justification to management based on an improvement in throughput resulting from the addition of a team member. If you have good historical data, then a Monte Carlo simulation could provide you with a confidence range for how many tasks could be completed within a given amount of time.

However, adding someone will only help if the work being done is not optimally staffed to begin with and if the main bottleneck to "doing more" is the team size.

Kiron
Thanks Kiron, I did not elaborated my question correctly - sorry for that. The work that I am estimating is new scope, not being done by team currently. I worked with team to come up with a proof of concept and then we decided that this new task will take average 10 min. The duration might change when we will actually start work on it (only if the scope is accepted with resource assigned) - depends on attitude/efficiency/motivation of additional person we will hire. My current purpose is to justify the time that will be spent on these tasks in the duration of the project, which will be several months. I am gonna use the 80% and 20% suggestion from Keith. Do advise any improvement. Thank you.
May 12, 2022 9:16 AM
Replying to Stéphane Parent
...
Let me ask the question: does the completion of one of these 10-minutes tasks add value? Unless, reporting one of them as completed is significant, I would consider using a bucket activity to contain all these tasks. Then, you just have to assign a percentage of a resource to complete the "activity" over a set duration.
I have bucketed all these task and have come to a conclusion that I need an additional resource if I have to fulfill these tasks since these were not in the scope earlier. This is going to bring value to customer and they understand it. I know a rough quantity of such tasks that the project will receive in a month and now I am estimating resource(s) for it. I will be presenting a justification for mandays and I will be questioned on the time i am estimating. I will use the approach suggested by Keith to use 80% efficiency that the resource will be effectively working. Thanks.
...
1 reply by Stéphane Parent
May 13, 2022 12:30 PM
Stéphane Parent
...
That's a sound approach Vipin.
I agree with Keith and Kiron.
May 12, 2022 12:50 PM
Replying to Vipin Verma
...
I have bucketed all these task and have come to a conclusion that I need an additional resource if I have to fulfill these tasks since these were not in the scope earlier. This is going to bring value to customer and they understand it. I know a rough quantity of such tasks that the project will receive in a month and now I am estimating resource(s) for it. I will be presenting a justification for mandays and I will be questioned on the time i am estimating. I will use the approach suggested by Keith to use 80% efficiency that the resource will be effectively working. Thanks.
That's a sound approach Vipin.

Please login or join to reply

Content ID:
ADVERTISEMENTS

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please."

- Mark Twain

ADVERTISEMENT

Sponsors