The management and control of the construction phase of a project.
Purpose Ensure all aspects of construction are executed for the owner, safely, on time, on budget and conforming to all standards and guidelines.
Typical Responsibilities Quality assurance/quality control. Environmental, Health, and Safety. Cost management. Schedule analysis. Document control. Change management. Contract compliance. Claims avoidance. Inspections.
Relationship with Owner can vary
u Agency CM:/u Professional services on behalf of the Owner Contract is with the Owner or the PM. Contractors have contracts with the Owner. Reports to the Owner or the PM.
- Responsible for performing the work.
- Contract is with the Owner or the PM.
- Subs contractors have contracts with the CM.
- Reports to the Owner or the PM.
- All aspects of construction – schedule and budget
- Systems to maintain safety and quality
- Interfaces with design: constructability
- Change management
- Owner and internal.
- Outside agencies for permitting.
- Aim is to deliver the project.
- Minimal long-term impacts outside the project.
- Typically known.
- Established mechanisms to mitigate.
The management and control of a single project during all phases of development.
Purpose Ensure all aspects of project delivery are executed for the owner, safely, on time, on budget and conforming to all standards and guidelines. This includes design, construction, procurement, and closeout/turnover.
Track/monitor project schedule, funding/cost and budget Packaging and sequencing of contracts Contracts interface review A/E selection Contractor pre-qualification Design and constructability review Value Engineering, permitting/compliance Contract submittal review Scope creep review
- Understand the entire delivery cycle.
- Maintain interface across all processes.
- Cost and Schedule become key drivers.
- The Owner is principalstakeholders.
- Competing and interfacing projects.
- External agencies.
- Deliver the project at best value to the Owner.
- Typically known.
- Risks expand to include design and handover/operations and maintenance.