Project Organizing for Tackling Grand Challenges in Emergent Markets
LESSONS FROM BRAZIL'S SOCIAL HOUSING MOVEMENT
This webinar will illuminate novel forms of project organizing to tackle grand challenges in emergent economies. So ,shed light on novel forms of project organizing to tackle socio-economic problems that are so complex, uncertain, and difficult to resolve that they can often seem intractable, with an emphasis on developing countries. Drawing from extensive fieldwork on the emergence of participatory social movement organizations that nest self-governing project teams to tackle the housing crisis in São Paulo, Brazil, Nuno will share how organizations can harness the power of self-managed projects to unleash cooperation, creativity, and adaptability without compromising internal organizational cohesiveness. A key insight Nuno will share is how to create a virtuous architecture of participation: one where by leveraging managerial control to build order inside the self-managed project teams, the organization builds capacity for the projects to contribute to spontaneous self-organizing activities, the result of which increases the beneficial effect of self-governing projects. Nuno will discuss implications to private and public-sector organizations which are willing to consider establishing autonomous project teams in the pursuit of solutions for grand challenges.
Attendees will gain an understanding of:
- What a self-managed project is
- The power of self-managed projects to unleash norms of cooperation, adaptability, and creativity
- How to establish self-managed projects whilst preventing chaos from reining in
- How to create a virtuous architecture of participation in organizations that seek to harness self-managed projects
- The need to create a strong identity, shared norms, and values before giving project teams decision-making autonomy
- The power of rewarding voluntary contributions of effort and time to main organizational cohesiveness
- Awareness for the future of project-based organizations
NOTE: You must watch videos in their entirety and all the way through to the end for our system to record your viewing activity accurately. Learn more about PDUs on ProjectManagement.com.
Acknowledgements: Laura Schofield