Fundamental Principles of Project Management
This webinar introduces an article, “In Search of Project Management Principles”, recently published in the Project Management Journal, PMI’s research journal. The objective of the article is to determine whether a set of project management principles can be identified to serve as a common framework for developers and publishers of project management standards and guidelines. Twenty-two project management standards and other consensus documents were reviewed, revealing a common understanding across the globe of the requirements for effective project management. Potential statements of principles were extracted, clustered into four categories, and 12 principles were found to be common to multiple sources. These 12 principles were rewritten in a pre-specified, consistent form. The authors hope that this set of principles will serve as a common basis for future standards and guidelines on project management.
- Learn about the twelve principles discovered in the research.
- Understand how these principles affect them as project managers.
- Learn to distinguish between principles, practices, and processes.
- Increase their understanding of standards and how standards affect their workaday lives.
- Expand their knowledge of the standards and guidelines that affect project management around the world.