Categories: Agile, Career Development, Communications Management, Construction Management, Earned Value Management, New Practitioners, PMI Standards, Project Management, Talent Management
A while ago, through a colleague of mine, I came across some very interesting certifications that are somehow specific to Project Management for Development Projects. I thought of sharing this with the community as it can add value especially for those who are considering working with NGO's in the future on projects in developing countries or those who would like to gain knowledge about what is unique about managing Development Projects. I personally found some interesting areas such as:
- Project Justification Management
- Project Closure or Transition
- How development projects look beyond the outputs of a project moving to the outcomes and then long terms goal.
- The use of some agile concepts blended with the traditional project management approach.
There are currently three certifications offered:
- Program Management for Development Professionals (PgMD Pro 1)
- Project Management for Development Professionals (PMD Pro 1)
- Project Management for Development Professionals (PMD Pro 2)
Some quick tips and facts to consider:
- You can do the exams online - Each exam is 75 Multiple Choice Questions and you have 3 Hours to complete the exam.
- Those certifications do not expire.
- No course is required. Just like the scrum.org, there is a study guide and you can do self-study. The exams are not easy especially the level 2 exams.
- Exams fees are very reasonable.
I connected with PMI with regards to those certifications and they were added to pm.com certification list under APMG International so if you go to Edit Profile then Certifications, you will see those listed there.
It would be great to see your feedback and thoughts - Good Luck to all Aspirants !