Categories: Agile, Agile Coaching, Agile Transformation, Business Agility, Chris Li, Dave Prior, Drunken PM Radio, drunkenpm, Reluctant Agilist, Scrum, Sparkplug Agility, Transformation Blockers
When a long-standing, traditional organization embarks on Agile Transformation, there can be a lot of things that impede the change. When a lot of those things are happening at once, it can seem even more daunting. The good news is that when that happens, some of the things blocking the change can be addressed fairly easily, but some things will be much harder to change.
In this episode of the podcast, I am joined by my good friend and fellow CST, Chris Li and we talk through some challenges that were sent in by a student of mine. As we walk through the issues we discuss how severe each situation is and how we would each respond to it.
Here are some of the challenges:
• PO can’t or won’t prioritize the backlog
• Team members are always taking on special side projects in the company
• The team is 35 people spread across several time zones - both on and off-shore
• Everyone is working on new products and also supporting up to 30 applications
• Everyone is expected to be at 100% utilization at all times.
• The Sprints are 4-5 weeks long (the size varies depending on the work to be done)
• One hour is allocated for Sprint Planning
There is obviously a lot to work through here. Chris and I did our best to hit all the points.
(An audio-only version of this interview can be found here: https://bit.ly/3xwfWkg)